I wanted to give you a update of the highlights of the SBC Annual Meeting. I have been going to the Annual Meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention on and off since 1990. I left thinking that this is one of the most historic meetings that I have ever attended for several reasons.
1. In the past the SBC has been considered an Old Man’s meeting. Just looking around it seemed to me that at least 40-45% of this year’s attendees’ were under 40 years of age with many of those in their twenty’s. It is a positive thing that younger people were engaged in the process. It’s my prayer that more young people will become engaged at the Associational level.
2. We left St Louis in Unity as a Convention! The president election could have caused us to go away divided. There were three Godly men who were nominated to serve and after the first vote there was runoff between Steve Gaines and JD Greer. After two votes there was still no clear winner (By-laws says that the winner must have a 50% plus 1 majority) right before the vote was to take place JD Greer in a show of unity humbly and graciously removed his name from consideration. Greer then made a motion that Gaines be elected by Acclamation.
3. Immediately following the election of Gaines as the 61st President of the SBC, Dr. Ted Traylor preached the Convention Sermon. His text was Psalm 133 Behold how good and pleasant it is for the brethren to dwell together in unity! No one but God could have orchestrated the events leading up to the Word that Ted passionately preached. This was without a doubt a God moment.
4. Several resolutions were presented and passed including resolutions that addressed the Orlando Tragedy, Biblical Sexuality, Support of Israel, Alzheimer’s/Dementia/Caregiving and the Church, Women and the Draft, and others. The one that has had the most Media coverage is the resolution On Sensitivity and Unity Regarding the Confederate Flag. One may argue that it is not an issue that we should even address and that was my first thought. But I met an African American Pastor from Virginia that with tears in his eyes told me how much the resolution meant to him and that it would help him win the lost. http://www.sbc.net/resolutions/search/results.asp?query=2016
5. Some may ask you about the SBC helping build Mosques in America. Many of the articles that I have read are very misleading. First, the Southern Baptist Convention is not in any way building mosques. Secondly two entities of our Convention, the ERLC and the IMB has joined 16 other faith group in an amicus brief. The brief stated, "the denial to build a mosque represents a potential threat to the free exercise rights of each of the amici represented here and is an affront to our nation's commitment to religious liberty for all. The following is a link to ERLC President Russel Moore answering a question concerning the issue:
6. Several times throughout the Pastor’s Conference and the convention thousands of people were on their knees and faces before God praying for Revival and an Awakening in our churches!
6 Executive Committee Mtg, Pisgah, 6:30
13-15 SBC, St Louis, MO
19 Father's Day
19 Baptist Men's Day
To be more accessible to our Bi-Vocational Pastors, Bro. Chris is now offering extended office hours on Monday's until 6:00 PM, and Wednesday's until 5:00 PM.
Our next Associational Meeting will be Monday, June 6, at Pisgah Church, 6:30 PM. Remember: Angela would love to meet with all Pastors wives and Preachers wives in your church during the meeting for a time of fellowship and prayer.
Bro. Chris is available to speak in your church June 26, July 24 and July 31 to preach, or just to say a quick word about our association and how it works.
Ministry Opportunity: Rosalie Church is collecting hymnals for Todd & Kim Smith. You can bring your song books to the associational office, or to Rosalie Church to be sent to Africa.
Remember: SMBA will be partnering with NAMB to provide Christmas backpacks for the needy children throughout the Appalachian Region. Our associational goal is to provide 200 backpacks and the items to fill them. Call Michelle at 256-451-3750 for more information.
We have begun the Associational Calendar for the next year (20174). If your church would like to host an Executive Committee Meeting, please call Michelle at 256-451-3750.
Please bring your ABCH & FM Camp snacks to the June Executive Committee Meeting, June 6 at Pisgah Church.
Michelle has started the list of volunteers to mow the associational office yard this summer. If you would like to be put on the list, please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 256-451-3750.
Please pray for Dutton and Pisgah Churches as they begin their search for a new Pastor.
Does your church need a like new Ice Machine? Roger Little has one for sale, call 256-599-8759.
To promote or advertise events happening in your church, please call or email Michelle at email@example.com or 256-451-3750.
30 Churches Doing Together What No Single Church Can Do Alone:
Bethany, Bethlehem, Calvary, Corinth, Dutton, East Brow, Ebenezer, Five Points, Flat Rock, Freedom, Friendship, Happy Home, Henagar, Hodge, Ider, Mount Zion, New Bethel, New Home, New Sardis, Pisgah, Pleasant Hill, Pleasant View, Poplar Springs, Rosalie, Section, Spring Hill, Stamp, Sylvania, Union Grove and Unity.